|Season 1, Episode 1|
|Air date||September 17, 2012|
|Written by||Eric Kripke|
|Directed by||Jon Favreau|
The Matheson Family has been living in a world devoid of electricity for fifteen years. When father Ben Matheson is shot and his son Danny Matheson is taken by Captain Tom Neville from General Monroe's militia, sister Charlie Matheson must travel to Chicago, Illinois in search of her Uncle Miles, hoping that he can help. She is joined Aaron and Maggie, and along the way they meet Nate Walker, an archer who helps them out of trouble. In Chicago, they find Miles in the Grand Hotel, but a fight with the Militia breaks out. Meanwhile, Danny escapes the Militia and meets Grace, who turns him in, but is later shown using a Pendant to power a computer that she uses to communicate with an unknown party.
In Chicago, Illinois, a 5-year-old Charlie Matheson and a 2-year-old Danny Matheson watch a cartoon as their mother Rachel Matheson talks with her mother on the phone. Suddenly, Ben Matheson arrives, looking distraught and frightened. He tells Rachel that "it's happening," and quickly downloads some sort of digital content on his computer onto a flashdrive, mere seconds before all the electricity goes off.In Port Royal, South Carolina, Miles Matheson is driving with his fellow Marine Sergeant Bass Monroe when he receives a call from his brother, Ben. As he is warned by Ben that "it's all going to turn off," Miles' phone turns off, along with Bass' phone, their car, and the rest of the electricity-powered machines in the area. Not far away from Ben's house, a plane falls from the sky and explodes.
Sylvania Estates, Wisconsin
- Billy Burke as Miles Matheson
- Tracy Spiridakos as Charlie Matheson
- Giancarlo Esposito as Tom Neville
- Zak Orth as Aaron Pittman
- David Lyons as Sebastian 'Bass' Monroe
- Anna Lise Phillips as Maggie Foster
- Graham Rogers as Danny Matheson
- J.D. Pardo as Nate Walker
- Tim Guinee as Ben Matheson
- Maria Howell as Grace Beaumont
- Elizabeth Mitchell as Rachel Matheson
- The episode was released to the Internet market via hulu.com on September 4, 2012, two weeks before its network premiere.
- Charlie and company walk past a dilapidated Wrigley Field, home of the Chicago Cubs baseball team. In the original trailer, which premiered in May 2012, Wrigley Field's iconic sign says "2012 World Series Champions", a prophetic detail that was riskily included. The Cubs are known as a cursed team with little hope of becoming champions, and something like that might offend their fan-base. By the time the pilot premiered on September 17, 2012, the team had been mathematically eliminated from reaching the playoffs, so the sign was edited out of the scene.
- With an average of 11.6 million viewers, "Pilot" became the top television drama premiere of the past 3 years, the last being the since canceled "V", which premiered in 2009.
- This is The Only Appearance Of Ben Matheson Alive.
- In the trailer of Revolution, the children are watching Woody Woodpecker in the 1942 cartoon Ace in the Hole on TV, but in the show itself they are watching Bugs Bunny in the 1943 cartoon Falling Hare.
- This is the only episode in which Maria Howell is credited among the main cast; after this episode she is credited as a guest star.
|Revolution -- Season 1 (Flashbacks in parentheses)|
|#01 "Pilot" (Matheson Family)||#08 "Ties That Bind" (Nora)||#15 "Home" (Monroe)|
|#02 "Chained Heat" (Charlie)||#09 "Kashmir"||#16 "The Love Boat"|
|#03 "No Quarter" (Miles/Monroe)||#10 "Nobody's Fault But Mine" (Miles/Monroe)||#17 "The Longest Day"|
|#04 "The Plague Dogs" (Maggie)||#11 "The Stand" (Rachel/Charlie)||#18 "Clue" (Jason)|
|#05 "Soul Train" (Neville)||#12 "Ghosts" (Randall)||#19 "Children of Men"|
|#06 "Sex and Drugs" (Aaron)||#13 "The Song Remains the Same"||#20 "The Dark Tower"|
|#07 "The Children's Crusade" (Rachel)||#14 "The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia" (Miles/Alec)|