When Dr. Horn first appeared, something inside told me to be afraid and be very afraid. It turned out that I was completely right.
The guy is apparently a mix of Randall Flynn and Strausser, making for the creepiest combination I have ever seen.
1. The guy was a Department Of Defense scientist who is quite curious about the nanites, and the fact that they caused two people to be set on fire. That raises red flags.
2. He is more intelligent and competent than you might think at first glance. He finds out quickly that Aaron Pittman has a connection to the nanites and he wants to get his hands on him very much. Oh, dear.
3. He rubs the fact that Dr. Gene Porter has been looking the other way for years in Porter's face. This indicates that he is quite petty, ruthless, a bully, and that he doesn't care at all about the rhetoric the Patriots are overly fond of spouting.
4. He threatens Porter with killing the townfolk one by one in front of Porter and saving Charlie for last...if Porter doesn't tell him where to find Aaron. I could tell that Dr. Horn was not bluffing at all. It's quite likely that Dr. Horn is the equivalent of Josef Mengele.
5. At the end of the episode, he tells Porter that he is feeling angry and frustrated, and that if he finds Rachel, he might not be able to control himself in the state he's in. Very creepy, and making it quite clear by this point that his affability is just an act.
I believe Dr. Calvin Horn will qualify as a Complete Monster. If you don't know what that is, I would advise you to google the Villains Wiki. (Disturbed)